Welcome to a new column here on the blog, Quick Stitches. Every other Tuesday, I’ll share quick stitching projects, ideas, inspiration, and tips. Join me for fun ideas for easy customization, personalized store-bought items, quick stitched gifts, and green crafting ideas, all designed to help you put your own stitchy signature on your world!
My hubby and I just bought our first home, and we’re having fun figuring out our own unique style as we decorate. More than any other time of year, we tend to host the most get-togethers during the summer, and now that we’ve finally got space to entertain, we’re enjoying having folks over, in a pretty steady stream! After our first fancy sit-down dinner, we realized we were missing a few key items…which naturally became my next order of business on the olde crafting to-do list.
First up: cloth napkins! You get double points for this project: they’re sweet and they’re good for the environment. And how about these lovelies, customized store-bought napkins with a much-loved plus sign applique! Here’s how:
1. First, draw a basic shape onto paper. Remember to create your design in reverse if it has a specific orientation.
2. Trace the shape onto paper-backed fusible webbing.
3. Press the webbing to the wrong side of your appliqué fabric.
4. Cut out your appliqué shapes.
5. Peel of the paper backing and press the shapes onto the napkins. I put my shapes in the bottom right corners.
6. Zigzag stitch around the shape.
7. Add a decorative line of stitches around the shapes if you like. I created two somewhat wonky boxes around my plus sign shape.
8. Repeat for the rest of your napkins. Add friends, mix well, and enjoy!
Think how cute these would be with other shapes or monogrammed letters. Make a quick set for a friend, the perfect personalized house-warming gift!